Follow us!
By:

Re: Budgie Ingested Corn Cob Bedding - HELP!

Posted by Evelyn on 11/28/07
(4) Comments
Like
Share

    Had the baby euthanized this morning. Here is what I found
    out. DO NOT USE CORN COB BEDDING!!!

    Corn Cobs - Once ingested, corn cobs can remain in the body
    for years before causing illness or death. Ingested corn cobs
    absorb moisture and swell, which can cause impaction, bleeding
    and death. Baby birds can also develop bacteria and yeast
    infections from the ingested material. When wet or in humid
    climates, cobs can grow Aspergillus molds which cause a
    respiratory disease in birds. This disease is difficult to
    treat and can be fatal. The cobs will also absorb moisture
    from your bird's droppings, promoting growth of organisms and
    hiding loose poops. It's a poor material for examining
    droppings.


    On 11/27/07, To Evelyn wrote:
    > On 11/27/07, Evelyn wrote:
    >> Help! I have a 2 week old English Budgie that I believe
    >> ingested corn cob bedding. I ran out of paper towels that
    >> I normally use and put the babies on the corn cob
    >> bedding. It's supposed to be non-toxic and biodegradable,
    >> but is it digestable? What can I use to break it up?
    >>
    >
    >
    > Hi Evelyn,
    > Have you tried calling the avian vet? Let us know what
    > happens :)