On 11/28/07, Evelyn wrote:
> Had the baby euthanized this morning. Here is what I found
> out. DO NOT USE CORN COB BEDDING!!!
> Corn Cobs - Once ingested, corn cobs can remain in the body
> for years before causing illness or death. Ingested corn cobs
> absorb moisture and swell, which can cause impaction, bleeding
> and death. Baby birds can also develop bacteria and yeast
> infections from the ingested material. When wet or in humid
> climates, cobs can grow Aspergillus molds which cause a
> respiratory disease in birds. This disease is difficult to
> treat and can be fatal. The cobs will also absorb moisture
> from your bird's droppings, promoting growth of organisms and
> hiding loose poops. It's a poor material for examining
> On 11/27/07, To Evelyn wrote:
>> On 11/27/07, Evelyn wrote:
>>> Help! I have a 2 week old English Budgie that I believe
>>> ingested corn cob bedding. I ran out of paper towels that
>>> I normally use and put the babies on the corn cob
>>> bedding. It's supposed to be non-toxic and biodegradable,
>>> but is it digestable? What can I use to break it up?
>> Hi Evelyn,
>> Have you tried calling the avian vet? Let us know what
>> happens :)
So sorry for your lose :( Great info on the bedding.