Re: 6 eggs 7 babies
Posted by Rick on 1/12/09
On 1/02/09, Tim wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>> This happened to me many years ago with a pair of whiteface
>> cockatiels. 3 eggs...4 babies. 2 of the babies were one half
>> the size of the other 2. Both babies were pulled and handfed
>> day 1. One baby died after about a week and the other one
>> survived and caught up to the normal size siblings. Twins
>> are rare and seldom survive but it does happen. Usually
>> there is not enough room for the 2 to develop properly. If
>> they survive the incubating period the embryo on the bottom
>> sometimes cannot get to the air pocket so it dies at hatch.
>> I have also had a double yolk Amazon egg in which 1 yolk was
>> fertile and the other wasn't. In this case the embryo was on
>> the bottom and it survived.
> Thanks Glenda,I know its pretty rare, but was a pleasent
> surprise non-the-less, parents were very good at keeping all
> the babies fed, I was impressed all six hatched, the twins was
> a bonus, In had a senegal pair years ago that produced twins
> but both died before hatching, now if only I can get twins
> with the rosies....
This interesting thread has become quite trivial due to your
unintentional abbreviated "Rosies". So if you wouldn't mind
clearing the air with the type of Rosies you are referring so
others can then agree / disagree and offer more intellect. I have
always been told you shouldn't assume anything. I think you know
where I am headed with this. Good luck with the babies.
Posts on this thread, including this one
- 6 eggs 7 babies, 1/01/09, by Tim.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies, 1/02/09, by Glenda.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies, 1/02/09, by Tim.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies, 1/08/09, by Gina.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies...HELLO???GINA ???, 1/10/09, by Amazed.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies...HELLO???GINA ???, 1/10/09, by petra.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies...HELLO???GINA ???, 1/11/09, by Says you.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies, 1/12/09, by Rick.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies, 1/12/09, by Tim.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies, 1/12/09, by Well La Ti Da.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies, 1/13/09, by Rick.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies, 1/13/09, by to My Tukkus.
- Re: 6 eggs 7 babies, 2/06/09, by C.J..