Re: Budgies nesting material
Posted by jill on 12/31/05
On 12/29/05, Sarah wrote:
> I have a nest box for my 2 parakeets, and i also got a
> little box of nesting material also, that you hang inside
> the cage, and there is a hole in it, so the birds can pull
> the material out of it and carry it inside their nest.
> Well, my female is pulling it out all right, but even
> though she has been in her nest once in a while, she won't
> bring it in there. She just keeps throwing it around the
> cage ( I keep finding on the ground, and not in their nest
> box) . Will she ever figure out what to do with it? Any
> help is greatly appreciated! ~Sarah :) P.S. They have
> showed a few signs that they are interested in mating also.
> P.P.S. And since this has happened before, this post is
> only ment to be replyed by people who will help me with
> THIS situation, not giving me other advise about breeding.
> I may post some questions about breeding in general later,
> but not now. :)
IN THE WILD BUDGIES DON'T USE ANY TYPE OF NESTING MATERIAL.
I HAVE BOXES SPECIFIED FOR BUDGIE AND THEY HAVE A CONCAVE
DIP IN THE CENTER TO KEEP THE EGGS FROM ROLLING AROUND. THE
MOTHER BIRDS SEEM TO LIKE THIS VERY WELL, HOWEVER, YOU WILL
WANT TO MAKE CERTAIN THAT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX IS SLIGHTLY
ROUGH IF THE CLUTCH IS SMALL AS THE MOTHER SITS TOO TIGHT
AND THIS WILL SOMETIMES LEAD TO SPLAY LEGS. I HAD THIS
PROBLEM MYSELF AND IT ISN'T FUN AND IS HARD TO CORRECT. YOU
WILL ALSO NOTICE MOTHER WILL PLUCK SOME OF HER FEATHERS FROM
HER TUMMY....SHE WILL USE THESE IN THE BOX IF YOU LET HER.
HOPE THIS HELPS, JILL
Posts on this thread, including this one
- Budgies nesting material, 12/29/05, by Sarah.
- Re: Budgies nesting material, 12/29/05, by Michael L.
- Re: Budgies nesting material, 12/29/05, by Andie.
- Re: Budgies nesting material/Andie, 12/29/05, by Michael L.
- Re: Budgies nesting material/Michael, 12/29/05, by Andie.
- Re: Budgies nesting material/Andie, 12/30/05, by Sarah.
- Re: Budgies nesting material/Andie, 12/30/05, by carol.
- Re: Budgies nesting material, 12/31/05, by jill.
- Re: Budgies nesting material/Andie, 12/31/05, by Andie.