Posted by Melinda on 1/20/07
On 1/20/07, LindaC in OK wrote:
> to me the syringe has more control than a spoon. I control
> the syringe. With the spoon birds are expected to lap it
> up? I don't think so.
Spoken as a true syringe feeder would say.
If you have ever spoon fed any species of bird you would know
that baby birds are NOT expected to lap up formula.
The bent spoon is the closest to the natural shape of the
parent bird's mandible. In other words, it feels very much
like the mother's beak would.
The formula intake is controlled by the baby and this is best
in order to prevent aspiration. You might have "control" as
you say, but trust me, there are more people out there that
shouldn't have a syringe in their hands when it comes to
feeding a baby. And what is better; you controlling the
formula or the baby?
Another point to consider, and this is a biggie, many syringe
feeders are careless and do not test formula temperatures. The
poor baby has no choice but to swallow that which is being
pushed down his throat. A bird that is allowed to "taste" the
formula and "control" the intake will NOT take formula that is
too hot because it senses it on his tongue and will spit it out
immediately should it be too hot. You won't find crop burn
among spoon feeders.
Also, there are numerous beak deformities caused by syringe
feeders due to improper insertion of the syringe on one side of
the beak. You'll not find a bird's beak that has been damaged
by a spoon as the baby attach's it's beak to the spoon evenly
from the front, much like the natural contour of the mother
If a person chooses to syringe feed, that's fine, but get your
facts straight before you pooh pooh the alternate and more safe
method that the spoon provides.
The only thing a syringe does is make hand feeding faster and
this not only puts the baby at risk, but it also takes away
quality bonding time when a baby is spoon fed.
Posts on this thread, including this one
- lindaC , 1/19/07, by jill.
- Re: lindaC , 1/20/07, by LindaC in OK.
- Re: lindaC , 1/20/07, by Melinda.
- Re: lindaC/That's me , 1/20/07, by LindaC in OK.
- Re: i feel like such a screw up, 1/20/07, by jill.
- Re: uh uh you are not., 1/20/07, by LindaC in OK.
- Re: uh uh you are not., 1/20/07, by Melinda.
- Re: i feel like such a screw up, 1/20/07, by Meeko's Mom.
- Re: i feel like such a screw up, 1/21/07, by Cheri.
- Re: i feel like such a screw up, 1/22/07, by jill.
- Re: breeders maybe by you.., 1/22/07, by LindaC in OK.