Re: blue crown conure rescue help
Posted by Elizabeth on 6/24/06
I personally would not wait to take the blue crown conures for
an avian vet visit...if you are noticing problems it could be
something such as a toxic metal exposure or a reaction to
something s/he was exposed to in the prev. homes. Or s/he
could be sick - they need to be treated asap. Waiting will
cause more complications and more $ in vet costs. The earlier
the treatment the better...
If untreated it will continue to make things worse. Take a
sample of the droppings with you (they may take fresh) but you
can show them what they look like at home. I know the avain
vets are more expensive but most will discount if he was
a "rescued" bird...some will also work with paymets plans with
you OR if the treatment is reasonable but more than what you
are able to pay - SOME vets, not all, will treat the bird if
you give him over and they will find him a home for him.
The tests that they would run will probobly be the same if you
brought him in now than if you brought him in a few weeks.
They should run at least a general blood panel - which will
show them how his system is inside. This is a starting point
to figure out what other tests - if any are needed. I would
have that done at least - even if you can't afford to do the
others the blood test will start you in the right direction.
You should also get his weight - a scale is a bird owners BEST
friend - if you don't have one this is a great site
www.oldwillknotscales.com -prices are good and they ship fast.
Other than that offer him a quality diet in addition to
whatever he was eating prev. changing his diet when something
is wrong is not a good idea. You can offer foods for him to
choose from but make sure his staple diet is the same. Until
you bring him to the vet you can add a few drops of ACV to his
drinking water to help clean him out. I use this on my pairs
right when the boxes go up and about once a month after that.
You can email me directly if you want or someone will be
around to help. :-)