Re: I have a Finch with a broken leg
Posted by Fran on 7/18/05
On 7/15/05, Diana wrote:
> I was giving a finch today with a broken leg. The owner
> said it fell out of the nest and the momma bird had quit
> feeding it. I asked if I could take it and try to nurse it
> to health. This is my second finch I am hand raising. The
> first did great and is a healthy bird. This one does not
> want to eat. I have read about splinting the leg but do
> not understand really what to do. I know this is going to
> sound bad but I am a single mom and can not afford to go
> to the vet for 2 weeks. Some would say I should not have
> taken the bird but it would have died if I did not try.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I have been able
> to force feed it so it is starting to corporate a bit on
> the feeding and it does flap it's wings and move about the
> cage. So I guess my question is should I splint the leg
> and if so how do I do that?
Diana, That is big hearted of you to take this little finch
to care for. I know vets can really be expensive, but most
will let you set up payments. If you have an avian vet
nearby maybe you should call and ask.
Splinting the leg yourself can be tricky business, until a
vet can check her, I would just make sure she's eating
properly. I guess you are feeding her Kaytee or a simlar
handfeeding formula. Depending on how old the finch is, she
should be able to start taking some of the soft food from a
spoon when offered to her. If she is eating on her own,
millet is very appetizing to birds. Also make sure she is
staying hydrated. Good luck to you and let us know how she's
Posts on this thread, including this one
- I have a Finch with a broken leg, 7/15/05, by Diana.
- Re: I have a Finch with a broken leg, 7/18/05, by Fran.
- Re: I have a Finch with a broken leg, 6/21/06, by Amy.
- Re: I have a Finch with a broken leg, 6/21/06, by Fran.
- Re: I have a Finch with a broken leg, 6/24/06, by Elizabeth.
- Re: I have a Finch with a broken leg, 6/25/06, by Kitty.J.
- Re: I have a Finch with a broken leg, 7/19/06, by Sonoma.
- Re: I have a Finch with a broken leg, 7/27/06, by Sonoma.