Re: adding to the family
Posted by GreyLady on 5/29/08
Even if at some time in the future, they might get along, which
is doubtful, you must observe a minimum of a 30 day quarantine
in the beginning. You need to keep them as far apart as
possible, never mixing any of their belongings and washing your
hands thoroughly, between handling them, their toys, food or
anything else. After that quarantine is over, then you put
their cages in the same room and let them get acquainted, but
from a distance. Later on, you can allow cages open but only
under constant supervision before you will know if they can be
loose at the same time, safely, or not. It's highly unlikely
that they will ever be able to share one cage but, stranger
things have happened so I won't say it can never be. But, it
would have to be their decision. They would show you by, at
some point, visiting each other in one of the cages and
starting to hang out together. However, an Amazon is usually a
much more agressive, "short fused" bird than a Grey so be
prepared to have two large cages for them, forever and further
expect that you may never be able to allow them out of cage
time, at the same time, without constant supervision. Hope
that helps. GL
Posts on this thread, including this one
- adding to the family, 5/27/08, by zoo keeper.
- Re: adding to the family, 5/29/08, by petparrots.
- Re: adding to the family, 5/29/08, by GreyLady.
- Re: adding to the family, 6/02/08, by karen.
- Re: adding to the family, 6/16/08, by fps.
- Re: adding to the family, 6/17/08, by parrotzoo.
- Re: adding to the family, 6/17/08, by GreyLady.