Re: Buying a pet lovebird
Posted by Dottie on 2/06/06
On 2/05/06, Michael L wrote:
> On 2/05/06, Dottie wrote:
>> When you buy a lovebird (even as a pet) do you ask such
>> questions as : 1) are they banded? 2) are they hand-
>> tame/hand fed? 3) have they been vet-checked? and 4) have
>> they been tested for polyoma and PFBD?
>> I usually ask these questions but then I have been told I
>> am "too-picky"--any comments or suggestions would be
> I've spoken with you before about lovebirds and I would have
> to say that what you are asking is not unrealistic, but the
> average lovebird breeder cannot afford to do all that you're
> asking without charging an exorbitant price for the lovebird.
> My birds are closed banded. My parent pairs have been
> tested, but not their offspring as I operate a closed aviary.
> I polyoma vaccinate the babies. I DNA all of my chicks. I
> handfeed all of my babies, abundantly wean them and keep
> longer than anyone I know that breeds.
> I charge $85 & up for these birds and to some folks you
> think I was asking them to sacrifice their first-born child
> to pay for one of them.
> My birds are a bargain in every sense of the word.
> If you ever start to breed, I welcome to hear from you what
> you might charge after doing all that you're asking.
> Michael L
I know I seem to be "very picky" but I just want to get
healthy babies and not worry about getting some contagious
I got "burned" by one unscrupulous person I bought a lovebird
from and now maybe I am "too cautious". This person sold me a
sick bird and it contaminated all of my lovebirds at the time
and I had to start all over. MaryK sold me two adorable birds
that are little "cuddle-bugs".
Posts on this thread, including this one
- Buying a pet lovebird, 2/05/06, by Dottie.
- Re: Buying a pet lovebird, 2/05/06, by Michael L.
- Re: Buying a pet lovebird, 2/05/06, by MKay.
- Re: Buying a pet lovebird, 2/06/06, by Terry .
- Re: Buying a pet lovebird, 2/06/06, by Dottie.
- Re: Buying a pet lovebird, 2/06/06, by Michael L.
- Re: Buying a pet lovebird, 2/07/06, by Dottie.
- Re: Buying a pet lovebird, 2/07/06, by MKay.
- Re: RE: buying a pet lovebird // clarification, 2/07/06, by MKay.
- Re: Buying a pet lovebird, 2/07/06, by Michael L.