Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS
Posted by GreyLady on 3/20/12
On 3/20/12, Pete wrote:
> I give all of my Birds a shower twice a week. I get the hand
> held device and soak them until they look like they have been
> completely soaked. I do not use any form of soap. I try to give
> the Macaw extra baths when I can, but he still develops a smell
> the next day. He eats Drs Foster + Smith Macaw Blend in his bowl
> and gets plenty of clean, fresh water. I feed all of my Birds
> peanuts, fruit and veggies every night before putting all of my
> birds in their room for the night. I occasionally feed all of the
> Birds Chicken leg and thigh bones too. they all seem to enjoy the
> marrow and have no problems cracking the bones open to get at it.
> I am trying the yogurt, but have not had a lot of success. The
> other Birds do not smell, so I figure Macaws might just have a
> stronger odor than other species?
It sounds like you are doing a great job with their diet and baths.
As for the Listerine thing, I have heard that mentioned but since
I've never had a smelly bird, I've had no occasion to try it myself,
therefore won't comment on it's safety or efficacy. However, should I
feel the need, I would clear it with my own vet first. Both that
it's okay to do it at all, and the mix ratio. I rarely
take "internet advice" without clearing it with my vet. Many folks
are honest but some will give some really shi**y advice. There is
always the possibility that you are just more sensitive to a Macaws
body odor than that of other parrots. I know many folks think
Amazons have a distinctive, natural body odor they consider
offensive. To me, some smell different but none have ever been
really offensive to me. Different degrees of sense of smell maybe.
Posts on this thread, including this one
- BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/13/12, by Pete.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/14/12, by GreyLady.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/14/12, by Pete.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/20/12, by GrayLady.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/20/12, by Pete.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/20/12, by Lunch Lady.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/20/12, by GreyLady.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/21/12, by Lori.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/21/12, by Pete.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/22/12, by Jim.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 3/24/12, by Pete.
- Re: BLUE + GOLD MACAW SMELLS, 4/07/13, by bird lover.