Follow us!

Re: question on buying an Amazon

Posted by Thomas T. on 11/24/08
(5) Comments

    On 9/09/08, Stacy wrote:
    > If I am buying an Amazon from a person, do they have to come
    > with papers to be legal to have in the US? It is tagged on
    > the foot, born in US, but no paperwork.

    When a parrot of any species is crossing over state lines in
    most cases if not all the Department of Agriculture requires a
    health certificate . If the parrot is already in the state you
    live in this is not needed . I have been breeding parrots for
    20 years now , and I breed Amazons . The open leg band on some
    mature parrots can be tricky . Some breeder that buy parrots
    that are not banded will put an open band on the leg for IDing
    the bird for a DNA test . I have never heard of a leg band
    saying born in the US , has any one else ?? In most cases
    like the others said an open band does mean a very mature
    imported parrot . Most closed bands will have the breeders
    initails , and the abreviation for the state they are from ,
    and an ID number . Sometimes they year will also be on the
    band . If you feel any concern that the bird is at risk of
    being sick ask the owner to get a health certificate from a
    avain vet . If they are not willing them search until you
    find one with a health certiricate .